Tuesday, May 20, 2008

The Tangible Kingdom

I don't really have time to write a full-blown review right now, maybe I'll do it later, but this book is incredible! I met these guys in Florida about a month ago, but they are based out of Denver, right up the road.

Basically, the book sums up everything I've ever felt about ministry, and gives awesome insight into how we can actually live out the Kingdom to see better results. If there are about 60% of the people in our country that are uninterested in current church models than we need to figure out what we're going to do about it.

Hugh and Matt don't give a list of what to do - instead they give thought-provoking ways that we can engage our own ministry philosophies and reconcile them to the way that Jesus lived out mission. What does it look like to create community in meaningful ways that attract people to the real Jesus instead of to the pop-culture Jesus that the American church has created?

Anyway, it is a must-read for pastors and even volunteers in ministries, and I dare say that I think every Christian should read this book. It won't take you forever - I read the bulk of it on my flight home from Oralndo - but it will haunt you for a long time after you finish it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i was looking at the stuff you are reading and was hoping for reviews of it. (you read better than i do) i think i'll link my review of this book on my blog to this though cause you tend to write more gooder then me to.

i love the book so far and for sure feel like they are saying pretty much my heart exactly. i also selfishly am bummed about that cause i would love to think i have an original idea, but inevitably i don't. good thing though. if i had an original idea it is most likely my idea and not me following where God is leading. Since God isn't going to just lead me somewhere that no one else in the entire world is going, i should find refuge in the shared 'original' ideas God is leading us into. (i just came to that realization in a communicable way. sweet. does that make this an original idea :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Man,

Just yesterday i was siting on my front deck smoking my pipe, drinking boxed wine and listening to some bluegrass music and i was reading this book almost crying. It was just saying everything i believe minstry needs to look liked. I wanted to find someone to talk with about it, i even rode my bike to the local Christian book store to buy a copy for friedns only to find out that they didn't freakn' have it.

Lauren and I will be coming back to Colorado June 4 and i need to have a beer with you and talk about this book and what it means for our life.

By the way your blog is sweet!! Hope all is well, tell your amazing fam that we say hi and would love to see you all soon.

Much Love,
will forsythe

DL said...

I'll have to get on that, sounds like something I need to read...

Missio said...

Thanks for taking the time to write about The Tangible Kingdom by Hugh Halter and Matt Smay.

One of the questions Matt and Hugh often received following the launch of that book was "Loved the book, but how do I get my community to do that?" The newly launched The Tangible Kingdom Primer is our effort to help small groups and churches do just that. It is an 8-week guide to creating missional and incarnational communities.

If you would like to receive a free copy of the Primer, please contact us at: books{AT}crmleaders.org. Please provide your name, the street mailing address you would like it delivered to (no P.O. Box please) and your email address. In the subject line, put Tangible Kingdom Primer Blog Copy.